You can easily rename app shortcuts on your Android device without editing the APK file. This can be useful for personalization or organizing your smartphone. There are a few methods you can try.
Discover more like this: How to Put Apps to Sleep on iPhone & iPad
Method 1: Rename the Shortcut
The simplest way to achieve this is by changing the name of the shortcut itself. You can use launchers or specialized software to create and customize shortcuts.
Option 1: Apex Launcher
- Launch Apex Launcher and set it up according to your preferences.
- You can skip the subscription offer as the free version is sufficient for renaming the app shortcuts.
- Choose “Apex Launcher” as your software interface and exit the settings.
- Create a shortcut for the app by dragging it to the desktop. Long-press the shortcut, select “Change” from the context menu, and enter the new name. Save the changes.
- If you want to hide the app and only keep the renamed shortcut, go to Apex Launcher Settings and navigate to the “Hidden applications” section.
- Tap “Hide apps,” choose the desired app from the list, and confirm the action.
- To restore the app, go to “Hidden apps” again and tap “Restore.”
- To switch back to the default launcher, go to Android settings, find “Default apps” or “Standard apps,” select “Home screen,” and choose the standard interface. The settings made in Apex Launcher will be reset, but the app will remain hidden, and the shortcut will retain its new name.
Option 2: Shortcut Maker
Shortcut Maker is a straightforward tool for creating shortcuts to apps, system features, and settings.
Before creating a shortcut, add the app widget to your desktop. Without the widget, the created shortcut will have Shortcut Maker’s logo watermark.
Long-press on an empty space on your desktop to open the widget options. Find the desired widget and drag it to any location on your desktop.
- Shortcut Maker will automatically launch after adding the widget. Open the “Apps” section and choose the app you want to rename.
- Tap the current name to edit it and then press “Done” to save the new name.
- If you want to change the icon, click “Shortcut Icon” and select a source image, such as your smartphone’s gallery.
- Once the shortcut is ready, tap “Create shortcut” and verify the result.
Method 2: APK Editor
APK Editor is a more advanced tool for viewing and editing APK files. With APK Editor, you can rename apps, but it requires some technical skills.
- Download and install the APK Editor on your smartphone. Grant it access to your media files.
- Launch APK Editor and select “Select Installed APK” from the app menu.
- Choose the app you want to rename from the list and tap “General editing.”
- Enter the new name for the app and save the changes.
- APK Editor will create a modified APK file, which you’ll need to reinstall for the changes to take effect. Tap “Install” and confirm the action. Wait for the installation to complete. The app data should remain unaffected.
- If the installation fails, uninstall the current app.
- Locate the modified APK file in your device’s memory and install it.
- Verify the result—the app will now have the new name.
May you like this: How to Rename Apps on iPhone & iPad
These techniques enable you to customize app names on your Android phone according to your preferences. Select the most suitable method for you and proceed with personalization.
Meet Herry White, the passionate tech enthusiast and driving force behind FreeAppsForYou.com. With a deep-rooted love for all things mobile apps, Herry’s journey began in the school days when he first laid hands on a smartphone. From that moment on, he was captivated by the endless possibilities that these pocket-sized wonders offered.