It’s annoying to see unauthorized users on your WiFi network. If you’re frequently finding that your home or office Wi-Fi is being used by unauthorized users, it can be helpful to know how to block the Wi-Fi from other users. There are a few different situations in which you might want to do this:
- If you have a neighbor who is constantly using your Wi-Fi for downloading torrents, for example
- If you have children who are spending all their time on YouTube instead of doing their homework
- If you have a small business, like a cafe, and you want to put an end to free users on your WiFi
Disconnecting people from your Wi-Fi network may be tempting in all of the above situations. Let’s look at how you can accomplish this.
If you’re tired of your neighbors leeching off of your Wi-Fi, there are a few things you can do to disable their devices. By taking a few simple steps, you can make sure that your Wi-Fi is only being used by devices that are supposed to be connected to it. This guide will help to keep your Internet speeds high and prevent others from stealing your internet resources.
Block other devices connected to your router
- To block devices from accessing your wireless network by their MAC address, first, change your network password so that only authorized devices can connect.
- Then, go to your router’s settings and find the “Wireless MAC” tab. Activate the MAC filter by choosing “Enabled” and add the addresses of any devices you want to block.
- To turn a device off, click the “Add Device” button and enter the device code. This can be found in the “Statistics” tab.
- After adding the device, leave the status as “Enabled” and save the parameters.
The wireless device thief will be disabled by performing these steps. You can also change the earlier mentioned parameters to keep the device off your WiFi if it adds a new MAC address. In addition, a permanently blocked device can also be deleted by the Internet user.
Disable all other devices than yours
You can block all devices from accessing your router, except for the ones whose MAC addresses are registered with the router. This will save you from having to keep track of changes in MAC addresses.
Use Guest Network
With a guest WiFi network, you can connect and access your internet center. In such a network setting, all the devices connected to this network will be separated from your main network’s resources. This way it will be protected by offering internet access to 3rd party users.
An example where this function can be useful is when people you know ask you to give them temporary internet access. However, your main local network contains important information that could be at risk, for example, viruses from your friends’ devices. To prevent this, you can allow them to use your guest Wi-Fi instead.
Most modern high-end and mid-range routers support guest Wi-Fi. Although this feature is always deactivated by default, you can enable it in the settings if necessary.
Useful Software That Can Help You Keep Unauthorized Devices from Connecting to Your WiFi
Fortunately, there are some great tools out there that can help you keep your network safe. Let’s take a look at some of the most useful software for this purpose. So if you’re looking for extra security for your network, read on!
SoftPerfect WiFi Guard
SoftPerfect’s WiFi Guard is an excellent tool for individuals who want to ensure their small wireless network’s safety and security. The program pings PCs and other devices on the network to check if they’re online and also detects firewalled computers that don’t respond to ping requests. Additionally, WiFi Guard can scan your network at a set interval and immediately alert you if an unauthorized and unidentified device is detected. Overall, this is a great tool for anyone who wants to keep their wireless network secure.
The SoftPerfect WiFi Guard software monitors and scans all network connections available on a workstation. If the equipment is recognized by the scanner, it is displayed in green. If not, it appears in red. Automatic network scanning can be configured, and if the scan results detect a “freeloader,” the owner is immediately notified. It is recommended to set sound or email notifications of such events
To block an unwanted user on your router, you can use the MAC address of that user. You can also mark unknown devices as trusted, if necessary.
- This app notifies you of any suspicious devices that are present on your Wi-Fi network.
- It is equipped with a special trigger that will go off when it detects illegal users.
- It is compatible with all modern operating systems.
- The program was originally designed to allow users to block connections, but it only provides monitoring features. If you want to block connections, you’ll need to use other applications or features on your router.
This app works superbly for people using Windows PCs. It will allow you to disable unwanted devices on your WiFi connection. Since 2011, there haven’t been any updates to the program. It was first released in 2007. All versions of Windows work fine with it.
The program will automatically scan the network and find new connections so you can easily block unidentified devices connected to your network. Upon opening the app, you will get a list of all Mac addresses currently connected to your network. Select the one you want to disable and hit the Cut button. To reverse your action, simply hit the ‘’On’’ button. Furthermore, users can also change the Mac address, check connection speed, and switch between multiple network cards.
- Easy to Use, Free
- Outdated users interface
Wireless Network Watcher
You can use the Wireless Network Watcher program to see which devices are connected to your router. You can use this program to see the IP and MAC addresses of the network devices. This information can be saved as a report file so that you can keep track of who is using your Wi-Fi. If you want to disconnect an unauthorized device from your Wi-Fi, you can use this program.
- This software is free to use.
- Wireless and wired connections can be scanned.
- It runs in the background and displays notifications when new users connect or disconnect.
- IP and MAC addresses are displayed, and scan results can be saved.
- Your Wi-Fi network cannot be disconnected from other users, but you can export data to an XML, CSV, HTML, or text file for use in other applications. This can be useful if you need to keep track of your Wi-Fi usage or if you want to share the data with others.
Who’s on My WiFi?
This software helps you detect and disable unidentified devices on your WiFi network. Among its functions is scanning the network for devices and displaying their names and addresses. You can mark your personal devices as ‘’Known’ and others as ‘’Unkown.’’ This software will then disable internet connectivity for all those marked as ‘’Unkown.’’
When a new device connects to the network, the tool will notify you with a prompt and a sound signal so you can take precautionary measures to stop internet access to unkown devices. In order to protect you against WiFi intruders, this utility automatically performs a scan every five minutes.
Who Is On My Wifi has a very user-friendly interface that comes with a step-by-step guide. This makes it easy for users to learn how to use the tool effectively.
This tool can prevent unauthorized access by users on the network and help preserve data transfer speed. By using this tool, you can better protect yourself and your data.
- Detect and disable unwanted devices
- Step-by-step instructions make it easy to use
- Not detected
This app works well for Android gadgets. Similar to Netcut, this app allows you to spot and disable connected devices on your WiFi network, as well as see info about the provider and check the connection speed.
After installing the program and granting it the necessary permissions, hit the Scan button. In a few seconds, a list of all devices registered and connected to your network will appear, with a switch next to each one. This allows you to disconnect any of the unknown devices.
- Monitor all connected devices registered on your network
- The names of the devices you discover can be customized
- Compatible only with Android devices
Illegally using someone else’s WiFi is becoming increasingly common, with many people unaware that they are sharing their router network with others. This can allow prohibited activities to take place on the Internet, as it is easy for those responsible to avoid detection. If you have not given your consent for this to happen, then you can use the information above to block Wi-Fi from dishonest neighbours and random users.
In this article, we provided detailed instructions on how to block devices from connecting to your Wi-Fi network. We recommended using screens and scans to check the network and explained how to configure the router using the browser or interface of its own operating system.
It is important to regularly change your Wi-Fi password to a more complex one. This will help prevent unauthorized access to your network. Be sure to write down the new password in a safe place, so you don’t forget it. It’s also a good idea to keep the number of people who know the password to a minimum. That way, if the password does get out, you won’t have to change it as often.
Meet Herry White, the passionate tech enthusiast and driving force behind FreeAppsForYou.com. With a deep-rooted love for all things mobile apps, Herry’s journey began in the school days when he first laid hands on a smartphone. From that moment on, he was captivated by the endless possibilities that these pocket-sized wonders offered.